Here you’ll find things several of my favorite posts. I wouldn’t call them the blog’s greatest hits, but they are a few of the more interesting things I’ve shared:
The Best(?) of August:
- Yaz Chewables, a remix of prescription drug commercials. by Zak Stoltz.
- The Homemade Daft Punk Helmet, it took about 17 months to build.
- We Are Not Time Travelers, designer Alex Varnese redesigns today’s technology for 1977.
- The Crazy Crab, the San Francisco Giants’ anti-mascot.
- Spike Jones, the musical prankster who invented comedic music.
- The Duck Duck Goose Touchdown Celebration, because it could only happen in the CFL.
- The Lucas Lee Movie Posters, the films of the fictional action star from Scott Pilgrim.
- Nixon’s Alternate Moon Landing Speech, what if the Apollo 11 astronauts were stranded on the moon?
- Minimalist Album Covers, famous album covers stripped to the basics.
- Bill Millin, the D-Day Bagpiper.
- Thoma Allen’s Book Cover Art, old paperback books turned into sculptures.
- The Chinese Red Army Perform Beat It, video editing at its finest.
- Joker and Lex, DC Comics supervillains reimagined as Calvin and Hobbes.
- The First McDonald’s in the USSR, and the line to get in.
- The 2010 Emmys Opening, perhaps the most entertaining award show opening ever.
- Alternate Universe Comic Book Movies, starring Clint Eastwood in Sam Peckinpah’s Wolverine.
Highlights of June/July:
- Barry Larkin, the man who pranked the Olympic Torch relay.
- Lookwell!, the Conan O’Brien and Robert Smeigle tv show pilot starring Adam West.
- The Churchill, a whiskey cocktail created for Sir Winston.
- The Ooks of Hazzard, a group of musicians performing an eight ukulele cover of MGMT’s “Kids.”
- Frank Sinatra’s letter to George Michael, in which the Chairman of the Board advises him to appreciate fame.
- A Unified Theory of Superman’s Powers, a scientific explanation with a great punch line.
- “Tik Tok” and “California Gurls”, apparently they’re the same damn song.
- Deadpool’s Philosophy, the Marvel Comics mercenary offers some deep thoughts.
- Walking Directions from L. A. to N. Y., Google has ’em.
- R. E. M.’s “Imitation of Life”, a music video using one twenty second clip on a loop.
- The 24 Room Apartment, a Hong Kong apartment housed in 344 sq. ft.
- Miles Fisher’s “This Must Be The Place”, a Talking Heads cover with an American Psycho inspired video.
- Lyndon Wade’s Room 107, one hotel room with a dozen stories.
- Turn Ahead The Clock Night, Major League Baseball and the jerseys of the future.